Sunday, September 6, 2009

Who's your God?

Let's talk Christianity.

True Christianity.

What is the point? What is the purpose? Where is God active? Where isn't God active? Where is God willing to display His amazing power that consumes His word?

Let's take everything we grew up with, everything that our parents taught us, anything your Church has spoken to you and set it aside for a moment.

It will still be there after.

If you still want it.

This weekend I have been completely challenged. To the very core of my being. When that happened, I was forced to asked myself and God exactly what I believe. And by the end it became very evident what I have been missing.

Knowing God.

Yeah, I know, it sounds so simple, right? Yet, the call that Jesus gave to His disciples is becoming more and more real to me. Which can be scary.

Very

very

scary.

If God said, "You're family won't agree with you and will disown you," would you still go? If God said, "I have plans for your life that are going to be harder than you can even imagine, but I will be with you always," would you still go?

I used to always say, "Yes".

Cause that was right.

Cause I didn't know what it meant.

God is beginning to challenge me to really believe that His call could demand people to hate me, even to my family. That if He said I wouldn't have a wife, that I would need to accept that. That rocked me.

To the core.

Imagine if you will that God comes to you tomorrow and says that you will be a prophet. And with that, you are going to have to say some really hard stuff to people. Truth that people are not going to want to hear.

Even your family.

In fact, God let's you know that for the next two years, your family will stop speaking to you. That they would be so rocked by the truth that they would show anger towards you and hurt. Would you still go?

Now, some of you are thinking what I was thinking. God would never have you do anything against your own family. Yet, Jesus, when his family comes, says, "Who is my mother, who are my brothers? Those that do the will of my father is my mother and my brother" How hurt did His mother and brothers feel at the time?

Jesus requires sacrifice.

Living sacrifice,

holy and pleasing

to

Him.

So then the question can expand. This is where we get to the heart of the weekend.

The heart of the change.

What do we desire?

Do we desire a Church that sings and reaches out to the city? Because that is good, right? Yet, "good" is the adversary for "right". Please, don't get me wrong. That Church could be right.

It could.

But more than that, should we not desire for the very presence of God? Should we not desire to hear His voice?

I am not talking a mumbled, foggy, distant voice.

I am talking burning bush, on the mount,

holy

clear

voice.

Why is God not pouring out like we see in Acts? Because we are not intentional.

period.

How long does it take to clearly understand a friend? 5 minutes in the morning?

Come on!

God is looking for us to stop playing games, to quit believing that just because we go to Church and tithe that we are somehow giving Him what He wants.

He wants me.

He wants your friend.

He wants you.

He so desires for you to see Him as a dad, and to see yourself as His kid.

That means coming into His presence willing at heart, "not my will, but yours be done"

But more than that,

believe it.

God doesn't care about your words, He wants your actions.

He wants you.

This takes us to the core of it. The foundation.

The framework.

God has been rebuilding my framework after taking it down. See, I grew up in a Christian home, went to church, was involved in all the good stuff. Yet, God says, "So what?" God isn't looking for another "church goer." He has too many of those on His hands as it is. God wants people that desire Him first.

Truly desire Him first.

When we allow ourselves to really, truly, fully fall in love with Him. There is no telling what He might decide to do. God is a God of power. A God that loves to display His glory. So you are wondering where healing are? You wondering where the prophets reside? Are you wondering where the pillar of fire is at?

How about God wondering where you are at?

God is going to work through those that allow it, yet so few are willing anymore to say, "God, you do what you need to do, I give (literally) everything up, so you can now use me however you would like"

When we are willing to say that and mean it, and when we truly walk in the presence of God and hear Him clearly. Oh wow, there is no stopping Him.

You want to impact the enemy?

Let's do it.

But

God wants you.

This has been so hard because in all honesty, I don't want to give some stuff up. Are you kidding me? The possibility of no family? The possibility of my family leaving me? My friends deserting me. It takes a lot to trust that God is sufficient enough to take away my insecurities and to take care of me. Yet, over this weekend I feel like I am learning to take that first step.

I feel as though God is capturing me and I am letting Him.

Which is so good.

Hard

but good.

I know that the next couple of years of my life are going to look very differently than I thought they would when I first arrived here. Yet, God is good, all the time-and all the time, God is good. So, now I am just falling in love with my creator. Trying to hear the voice of God. Trying to become sensitive to what the Spirit is doing. Trying not to do what is "good", but to only do what is "right" Because sometimes God wants to give us something better than just "good"

I want to be an open vessel for God.

So, there it is. Your beliefs are right there. The question is, does God want more from you? All of you?

And I mean ALL.

Are you willing to throw everything that you have been brought up with and replace it with what God says is right? Cause lets face it, if it is from God, He will give it right back. But let's allow Him to remove anything that is not pleasing to Him.

Let's see what God is able to do through us when we are willing.



No comments: